My Writing Space: The Reality

At first this was going to be a post detailing my current writing space versus my ideal writing space, but I realize that I need to work with what I have to get to a place of contentment until I actually have the space to create the environment that I want.

My desk is an old metal students desk that I think we got from teh family that used to rent out the house that we are now in. I’ve used this desk for yers, gotten rid of it more than once (exiled to my brothers room where it never got used), but I always come back to it in the end. I’ve limited my “sitting” space at the desk by putting a filling cabinet under the desk to my left, where I intend on keeping the majority of my writing books/notebooks and also my school books/notebooks.

I’ve got an old book that’s been cut into an “A” in the right corner of my desk, along with a Willow Tree forgive of what I assume is a mother and a daughter sitting on a bench and talking. In the left corner I have my Amazon Echo Dot and a Willow Tree keepsake box with an image of two friends sitting on the ground and talking (see a theme emerging here?). I also have a black wire pen holder that gets moved around depending on what’s on the desk as well as my glasses case that also will get moved around. I’ve got the journal I’m going to be copying out of next to my iPad, an iced coffee in my favorite tumbler, and an almost empty bag of Chex mix.

Finally, on the wall in front of me, hang several pictures of those close to me, a mini whiteboard, a wooden sign my grandfather made me for Christmas several years ago that reads “If you don’t see the book you want on the shelf, write it.” (A quote by     ), and a mermaid sign given to me for my birthday.

Behind me I have a bookcase filled with fiction books that I love, that have been given to me, and that I think might help me get into the style I want to write in. On top of the bookcase sits a doll given to me by my mother just a few months before her death as well as a stuffed bear given to me by both of my parents when I was small. A large picture on the wall above shows a little girl and a little boy plaing in a field of flowers. Mountains in the background, bright colors and a beautiful sky—it makes my small bedroom/office seem more open. On the bottom is Jeremiah 29:11, a Bible verse that I have clung to for years. The line that crosses the room between the bookcase on one wall and the desk on the other is where i have tried to place my mental divider between office and bedroom.
The bedroom area consists of another large filing cabinet, a nightstand, a bed that takes up almost an entire wall, and many posters and prayer cards taped an tacked to the wall. The nightstand holds my Bibles, devotiona books, and keepsake boxes filled with cards and letters from the last seven years or so.

This is the space that God has given me in this moment, and this is the space that I will make the most out of in the year to come.
My favorite thing to do is to open the curtains, raise the blinds, and open the window as I write. The fresh air helps me to clear my mind. When I can’t do that, and sometimes even when I can, I turn on my essential oil diffuser. I have several calming, comforting scents that I can use to filll the room, but I also have scents that make me happy. Grapefruit, lemon with eucalyptus, and even a “Cheer Up” blend that does indeed make me happy when it fills the room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something a Little Random

Dear Mamma/My Day With You

Consumption