Questions

Ok, so this last week I have been trying to think up ways to help me outline my stories, because traditional outlines don't work for me. I either make them way too detailed, or don't have nearly enough detail. So I first came up with a list of questions to use as a starting point.

1) What happens?/What needs to happen?
What is the major thing that happens in the book. The thing that the entire plot centers around and leads up to or explains all throughout the book.

2) who does it happen to?
Who is your main character?
Your secondary characters?
Supporting characters?
Extras?
Make a list of at least the names.

3) Why does it happen?
What's the reason behind Sally running away or Jimmy training to hard for track? What is the goal? What happens because of it?

4) When does it happen?
Pick a time period!!
Is it midevil? Post modern? Modern? Ten years ago? Research if needed, and keep everything in the contest of the time period.

5) Where does it happen?
Does your story take place in a single location? All over the world?A small town? A ship? List the locations that you wish to use. Describe them. Picture them in your mind as you write.

Finally, 6) How does it happen?
What causes Sally to want to leave? Who is pushing Jimmy to run so far? Does he give up but come back? Does Sally end up living in the woods?
Get an idea of HOW you want your main goal to be accomplished, or how a character was put into the situation.
Believe me, it helps in the long run.

I don't know if these questions will work for everybody, but they seem to work for me. They are also great starting points when stuck writing a scene. :-)
Hope these have helped!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something a Little Random

Dear Mamma/My Day With You

Love Languages