Christmas Slippers

So....I love both the song "Christmas Shoes" and the musical "Christmas Shoes". And I think I saw the movie once.
Anyway, I listened to it for the first time in a long time tonight, and I've decided I'm going to write my own little spin on it. But with a girl. (Cuz, ya know, I'm a girl and whatnot)
So, I now present to you, my take on "Christmas Shoes"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She sat in the hospital cafeteria, mindlessly pushing her food around her plate. The potatoes mixed with the sauce from the chicken, creating an unappetizing mess.
"You've got to eat sweetie." Her father quietly encourages.
"I'm not hungry." She says a bit too forcefully. "How can you even eat?"
He didn't answer, and that's when she saw the half eaten meal on his own plate. "Try practicing what you preach."
She stood up and carried her tray to the nearest trash can. 
"Where are you going?" He asked.
"To the gift shop. Grandma gave me a little bit of money. I know we said no gifts this year, but it doesn't feel right. I want to give mom one more."
Her father shook his head as she walked away, but she pretended not to notice.

The people bustling around made her feel claustrophobic as she walked through the lobby to the gift shop. Even though it was past noon on Christmas Eve, the shop was practically empty. Save for a mother and child, and a man browsing alone.

Charity didn't need to browse, she knew exactly what she wanted. Quickly she walked to the display and picked up the pair of pale pink slippers. Holding them nearly caused her to break, but she clutched them until her knuckles turned white and refused to let the tears fall.  Instead, she blinked them back and got in line to check out behind the mother and son. A moment later, the man stood behind her.
When she got up to the counter, the clerk looked at the tag attached to the slippers and shook his head. "Just a second, se body out the wrong tag on these. Let me see what the correct price is."
Her heart sank. "Please....please hurry sir. They're for my mom, and she doesn't have a lot of time left. The doctors say, well, that this is her last Christmas. I need to get these to her quickly."
He nodded and continued searching the computer. Finally he found what he was looking for, and her heart shattered to discover she was $5 short.
Heart broken, she clutched the slippers as she turned to put them back, bumping into the man. Finally, the tears came. "What am I supposed to do?" She whispered. "This could be my moms last night, and we know it's her last Christmas. I wanted...I wanted to keep tradition one last time. I needed to get her these slippers."
She jumped when the man out his hand on her shoulder. "Go, take them to her, I'll take care of it."
She looked up at him with shining eyes, "really mister?"
He smiled, "Really. Now go, and tell your mom Merry Christmas."
She smiled and wiped her eyes, "thank you! Thank you thank you so much!" She shouted as she ran out of the shop and to the elevator.
He watched her and smiled as he paid for the slippers as well as his own little gifts before stepping onto an elevator of his own. A few minutes later he sat with his wife and their newborn daughter, singing softly as they both slept.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something a Little Random

Dear Mamma/My Day With You

Love Languages