Just A Radndom Idea I might Expand On Later

Friday morning is usually the most boring part of my week, but today...today is different. My husband Ben is at work, while I sit in front of the computer. I'm supposed to be working too, but the blank monitor staring back at me apparently has different ideas. December 18th, six months and two weeks until my deadline, and the re-writing was killing me. I sigh and stand up, maybe a quick walk will help me gather my thoughts? Probably not; I've logged almost ten miles on my treadmill already this month and no inspiration has sprung from my cluttered thoughts. Another sigh escapes my lips as I search for a snack in our small kitchen; trying to write while waiting for the test is clearly not a good idea. On one hand, I'm ecstatic, making plans and day dreaming about the future. But on the other. . .I'm terrified. What if I'm not ready? What if we're not ready? To be parents. To have a child. To be responsible for our own little miniature human that will be completely dependent on us for the entire foreseeable future!
Ok, calm down. I've spent waaay too much time talking to Jamie lately.
A little boy to buy trucks for-or a little girl who wants bows in her hair. The thought brings a smile to my lips.
As I'm opening a bottle of soda, the timer I set ten minutes ago goes off. My heart stops, then begins to race. I tell myself to calm down, I don't want to get my hopes up too high. I'm only supposed to wait five minutes to check. I waited ten. With a deep breath, I walk to our small bathroom.
It's sitting on the counter, and with shaky hands I pick it up. A small blue plus sign nearly makes my knees go weak, and I suddenly wish that I hadn't waited until Ben was at work. I'm so excited I pull out my phone and text him: "Come home, please? I have to tell you something!" He doesn't know that I took the test, I didn't want him to get his hopes up before I knew for sure.
While I'm waiting for him to get home I pull a blue sweater out of the closet and let it replace the old pajama top I hadn't changed out of. A pair of jeans quickly follows before I grabb my brush and begin to undo the mass of brown knots. I'm sitting on the bed with a smile on my face as I attempt to pull it up when he comes up behind me and puts his hands over my eyes.
"Oh! Oh Ben, you should know better than that by now!" I laugh as I turn around. Immediately I am met with quick kiss, and I feel him smile.
"What did you need to tell me?" He asks after a moment.
I smile this time and stand, lead him to the living room and the couch. "Are you ready for some big news?" I ask him.
He almost laughs as his grin spreads. "Go for it."
I take a deep breath as the reality of what I'm about to tell him hit me. "You're going to be a father." I whisper.
His eyes widen and his grip on my hand tightens. "Say it again." He pleads. "Say that again."
I smile and lean closer. "You, Benjamin Ingram, are going to be a father."
His shout of joy is probably the best thing I have ever heard, I'd never seen him so excited.
"Lacy this is amazing!" He exclaims.
I laugh, "I know!" Tears fill my eyes as he pulls me into his arms.
"We're going to be parents." He whispers, and it's music to my ears.
We sit there for a while, talking about what we're going to do in the baby's room, possible names, and nearly planning our child life several different ways. I don't know how much time passes before I hear a knock at the door.
We both jump, as if just having been awoken from an amazing dream, and look at one another. "Who could that be?" He asks.
"I don't know, I wasn't expecting anyone this morning."
Ben gets up and opens the door; we're both shocked to see our new pastor of three months standing there.
"Ben, Amy told me you rushed home, is everything alright?"
I frantically try to wipe my eyes and straighten my sloppy outfit before Ben invites him inside.
"Yes sir, everything's fine. I'm sorry I rushed out like I did, but Lacy needed me for a moment."
"It's alright, I just wanted to make sure everything was okay. Since you live right down the street i decided to come see for myself."
Ben smiled, we both loved this new pastor, even if he sometimes seemed a little excited. "Please, won't you come in Pastor Lance?"
He shakes his head. "No, no, thank you. I just wanted to know if you two would join me for lunch? I have a friend in town and I'd like to talk to you about something while he's here."
Ben glances at me, clearly conflicted, but I nod. "Of course pastor." I say as I walk into his view. "We would love to join you and your mentor for lunch. Where?"
After scheduling a place and a time Lance leaves me and Ben alone to once again day dream about our future as parents.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
When we arrive at the small restaurant Pastor Lance is already seated in a small corner booth; we join him with smiles, slipping into the bench across from him. 
"Hi there" he says. "Jer is running a few minutes late I'm afraid. He's here in town on business and something came up that's keeping him longer than he expected."
Ben smiles, "Oh that's alright, we're anxious to know what you needed to speak with us about."
"Right, well...Lacy, I've been told that you have a background in theatre. Is this true?"
I have to kick Ben under the table to make him stop chuckling, even though I am suppressing one myself. "Yes, you could say that. My mother and her husband run the little theatre in my hometown, and have since before I was born. My father was killed over seas when I was young, my mother turned to her co worker and close friend for comfort. Before I was five, they were married. I can't tell you how many nights I sat up helping or watching during performances. When I got older I was able to take on some responsibility at the theatre which resulted in my first job. Later I went to the same college as my mother and got the same degree, planning on following in her footsteps when she retired. That plan, however, was temporarily put aside when Ben and I moved here. His job required him here for a minimum of three years, and I'd always wanted to spend some time in Colorado, so we both felt like it was God telling us to come. I hated giving up working with the amazing team at the little theatre, but I knew that this was where God wanted us. I'd like to get back into it; am I right in thinking that you have a way? Is that why you brought us here?"
He grins and I realize that I've gotten a head of myself. "Actually yes." He laughs. "You see, in college I was involved in theatre and I realized that it is an amazing opportunity for ministry, and I want to find someone to start one, or help start one, here at the church. And if you plan to leave, you can train someone to take your place."
Ben and I look at each other; can this really be happening?
"Pastor, I'm afraid you're going to have to explain, you're wanting Lacy to start a drama team?"
"Ben, I'm asking Lacy to come on staff and teach a group of anyone willing to learn so that we can create a new ministry for this church."
I'm speechless. Tears fill my eyes; little does he know that he's just handed me a dream that had been in my heart since I was a little girl. I look at Ben and nod, but I can't speak.
He smiles and takes my hand, "Lacy wants me to tell you thank you, and that she is more than glad to take this opportunity; it's been a dream of hers since she was little to be able to start a drama team at her church."
He smiles, "I know."
I'm trying so hard not to cry, but I don't understand what he means. "What?"
He grins again and waves his hand in the air. A moment later I feel a hand on my shoulder. I jump and twist in my seat, and the tears spill. "Jeremiah!" I exclaim.
I stand to hug him, and the familiar embrace of my step-father nearly causes me to break down. Two years since I'd seen him, and it had been way too long.
He laughed, his deep, belly laugh, and smiled down at me. "Hey there princess.
"Oh my..." I cover my face in my hands. "How are you here? What's going on?" I laugh through my tears.
"Merry Christmas Lace." He whispers.
I laugh, "Talk about an early gift!"
"Oh just you wait."
"What?"
"Lacy" Lance interrupted. "I know you're going to be pressed for time today, so I'd like to talk to you as soon as we get back about an Easter production. Nothing huge, but I would like to do something. Is that alright?"
I feel like I'm missing information, like this is all a dream. It's making about as much sense. "What? I'd love to do Easter, but I'm afraid you've lost me. When I get back from where?"
They all grin, and I feel like I've missed some important piece of information. "Ben?" I ask. "Did you know about this?"
I look back and forth between the three of them, and I'm not sure what to think.
"What is going on here?" I half laugh half sob.
"You're coming home with me tomorrow. Your mothers AD was in an accident right before the first performance yesterday; she's desperate for help." Jeremiah says.
Time stops. Home? In two years, the word has never sounded better. "R-Really?" I whisper.
Ben nods. "You're taking our car. I'll be flying out the 23rd for Christmas, we're coming back the 2nd."
I fall into the chair. "Two weeks back home?" Then I look at him, eyes wide. "Ben, I'll get to tell my mom in person!"
Jeremiah chuckles as he slides into the booth beside Lance. "Tell her what?"
I look at Ben again, sure that he will be bursting at the seams to tell, but instead he looks concerned. "Will you be ok to travel?"
I laugh, "Ben I'll be fine. It's beyond safe." I reach to take his hand. "I promise."
"What are you two talking about?" Lance finally asks.
I smile, no longer able to contain the joy building inside me, both over the baby and going home. "Ben and I are going to have a baby."
He puts his arm around me and smiles proudly; I laugh at the reactions of the men in front of us.
"You're serious?" Jeremiah asks. We nod. "Her mother's head is going to explode." He laughs.
"What's this about her needing an AD?" I ask as a waitress brings coffee for us. I reach for my cup but Jeremiah stops me.
"Can we get a water instead?" He asks. She smiles and walks away; I just shake my head.
"Will you please explain what you meant about the AD?"
His face falls, "Amy was in a car accident this week. She's going to be ok, but she won't be able to do much of anything after her surgery tomorrow. That leaves your mother in quite a pickle; everyone did the best they could last night, but she says it didn't flow as smoothly without an AD."
I look at Lance. "So me helping my mom will get me thrown back into that world, right before we start discussing Easter." I look at all the men around me. "The three of you are near genius."
"Now I don't know about you all, but I'm ready for lunch. Anyone else?" Lance asks.
I grin, "Same here." Receiving a laugh from all three.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Saturday afternoon finds me lying in bed, bags completely packed, feeling absolutely sick. Ben sits beside me, but his chuckeling is not helping. "You were fine yesterday! I honestly don't see how one day makes a difference." He says as he rubs my head.
I glare up at him and bite back the "shut up" that's on the tip of my tongue. "You're never home when I wake up! I've been trying to figure out why I felt sick for three days. I didn't just take that test out of the blue!"
He chuckles again as he continues to rub my head. "You're nervous, aren't you?'
I sigh, "Yes, a little. You know how I feel about car trips at night. And what if i can't be the help that my mom needs? What if something does happen with the baby, or what if I get too sick to do anything? What is-"
"Stop Lace." He says softly but firmly. "Stop that right now. What you need is to get some rest."
"But Ben-"
"No, no buts. Get some rest honey, you need it. You both need it." He smiles down at me and my anxieties fade away a bit. He begins to hum, and once I close my eyes he begins to sing. He knows I'm a sucker, and I'll do whatever he wants if he sings to me. And today I find myself being lulled to sleep by a lullaby that his mother sang to him-and in my dream I see him singing it to our child one day soon.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I wake with a start when I feel the car come to a stop. Before I open my eyes I remember the long trip, the tearful goodbye to Ben, and the promise to call as often as possible. My nap earlier helped tremendously with my sickness and nerves, so much so that I was able to relax to sleep again on the 12 hour car ride home.
Home. Home! The thought is almost enough to make me jump out of my seat. "Home?" I ask, rubbing my eyes.
Jeremiah laughs and stretches out. I feel bad, but he refused to let me drive more than a couple of hours. "Home, angel girl. Head inside and get to bed, I'll grab the bags. Your mother's asleep, I'll take the couch-for tonight."
I shake my head and yawn. "I don't want to wake her up. I don't think I can-ahh. I don't think I can talk much."
He laughs as he opens his door. "Are you kidding? You couldn't fully wake your mother if you tried. She'll be quite surprised to find you here when she wakes up."
I follow him out of the car, and while he goes to the trunk I walk to the porch. The key is right where it always has been, tucked in a pocket inside the screen door. I let myself in, return the key to its home, and then walk through the dark house to where my parents bedroom is. The door is closed, as usual. She never leaves it open when he's gone, she says she doesn't feel safe. I open it quietly, and see her sleeping peacefully. Without even bothering to change I crawl into bed beside her and pull the blankets up to my chin. Warmth envelopes me, and soon my breathing starts to match hers as I fall into a deep, contented sleep.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The next morning I wake up feeling completely sick-yet again. I quietly get up and walk to the living room where I find my suitcases sitting beside the couch. I reach into the front of the big one and pull out a bottle of medicine. In the kitchen I find a package of water bottle sitting in the corner beside the cookie jar. They almost look as though they haven't been touched since I moved out. The thought makes  me smile as I open one and swallow the pills. Afterwards I sit at the table and just enjoy the quiet. It's not often that I get to sit in the quiet and enjoy it without the stress of a deadline or a function Ben had to be ready for. I grin when I realize that I wont have many more moments when the baby arrived.
Finally, I found myself unable to sit still any longer, and I decided to wake mom up early. I walk into her room again and kneel down by her bed.
"Mama" I whisper, shaking her shoulder. "Hey Mama, it's time to get up. You've got a surprise."
She blinks and mumbles something incoherent. I laugh, "Mom, get up!" I shake her a little harder and her eyes open slowly, then grow to twice their size.
"Lace?" She whispers.
"Morning Mama." I laugh.
She sits up in a tangle of blankets, "Oh my gosh, Lacy!"
I laugh as she cries and envelops me in a hug. "Surprise."
"Oh my gosh." Tears are evident in her voice. "How are you here? Lace...oh my gosh." She held me so tight and put her hand on the back of my head. I know she was holding to me so she knew I wasn't a dream.
We just sit there for several minutes as she holds me tight and finally decides that I'm not a dream.
Finally, she lets me go, only to hold my face in her hands. "Explain, right this instant young lady." She laughs through the happy tears in her eyes.
"That's kind of hard to do when you're smushing my face." I mumble.
She holds on for a second longer, and then takes my hand instead. "Ok, explain."
I laugh as she pushes my hair behind my ear. "Dad was in town for business, I'm going to assume that you didn't know that, and he said you were needed an AD to help out at the theatre. Isn't there someone there better qualified that than a girl who's spent two years out of the business?"
She grins from ear to ear, "Nope. Because you were always my first choice."
I roll my eyes, "Right. Because it was totally Ashly that pulled the curtain a scene too early her first time around."
She laughs at that. "Oh I knew it was you, and it was so devastating at the time-but I couldn't stay mad because you looked up at me with those big green eyes, completely terrified that you'd never get to work back stage again."
I laugh this time. "Yeah. I'd never been more scared in my life."
She shakes her head and I see tears forming. I hardly have time to say "oh mom not again." before she wraps me in another hug.
I sigh and welcome the embrace. "My gosh, I've missed you."
"I have missed you so much baby girl."

After several minutes we are finally able to seperate and get ready for church. I dawn my purple dress that falls almost to the floor and a pair of strappy black heels. She comes out 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something a Little Random

Dear Mamma/My Day With You

Love Languages